Bird rescue and observation program
Volunteers will be working alongside a team of international professionals and local workers. Using their skills to enrich the lives of the birds.
Volunteers will be working alongside a team of international professionals and local workers. Using their specific skills to enrich the lives of the birds e.g. Scarlet and Great Green Macaws, and also help and teach visitors about the bird care and conservation efforts. In the project volunteers usually work a six day week, and days off are determined by workload, and the number of volunteers that are at the time. Work tasks include:
- Preparing food, chopping fruit.
- Cleaning, scrubbing, sweeping, raking aviaries, grounds and Food preparation areas.
- Food collection.
- Feed distribution to the birds.
- General aviary maintenance and husbandry (lots of raking).
- Daily rounds of observation ensuring health and wellbeing.
- Maintenance of aviaries, perches, feeding stations.
- Cutting browse and re-perching.
- General centre and kitchen maintenance.
- Environmental enrichment.
- Making toys from an assortment of materials.
- Puerto Viejo, Osa Peninsula.
- Working hours
- 8:00am – 3:00pm (varies).
- Interest and physical ability to work in nature, with injured and young animals, intermediate level of Spanish.
- Biologists and veterinarian; interdisciplinary team but not full time (educators, communication) depending on project.